Friday, May 8, 2009

Thankful Thursday - Mom


As one whom his mother comforts,
So I will comfort you;
And you shall be comforted in Jerusalem.”
Isaiah ~ 66:13

Perfect topic as this Sunday is Mother's Day. One of the many things I'm thankful for in this life is my own mother. I don't get to see her, or talk with her, as much as I'd like. You'd think as a mom myself it wouldn't bother me too much. It does. My mom has been my pillar of strength and my best friend through most of my life. No matter how much I messed up, she was always there to comfort me and help me pick up the pieces.

I'm also thankful for the opportunity to be a mom. If you are a mom, you understand. There is no other greater joy in the world than holding a newborn child. While my oldest child is 25, I still remember the fear I felt just before the doctors put me to sleep - my son had his cord wrapped around his neck three times and was blue. I also remember the great joy at hearing his cries when I awoke.

As a step mom, I have had the joy of marrying into a "premade" family. This, to me, is a great gift. To have a child welcome you into a family with open arms and give you love unconditionally is a true gift. I have been given that privilege times six! I am truly blessed!

I've also been blessed with two different mother-in-laws. My first was supportive and loving. She helped me in so many ways I could not begin to mention them all. She accepted me into her family willingly and kept me as part of the family long after her son and I divorced. My second is loving and raised a man who loves the Lord with all his heart. They are both spectacular women!

No comments: