Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thankful Thursday - Courage


Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.”

Deuteronomy 31:6



Today Laurie at Women Taking A Stand talked about courage. I, too, had the same thought. Me, courageous? No way! My husband likes to tease me because I'm afraid of birds. (more so than spiders!)

But, honestly, looking back, I've been through some scary stuff. Husband #1 hit me hard enough to break my glasses, give me a bloody nose and fat lip, not to mention the bruises up and down my back. I was brave enough to pick up my son and walk out.
I was brave enough to drive from Missouri to California with two small boys (in a Chevette), just the three of us, and try to start new. (with the help of a very dear friend, thanks Wendy!) I was also brave enough to admit I made a mistake and pack us up a year later and move back to Missouri because I needed my families help.
I was brave enough to handle a robbery at a fast food place I was managing, identify the thief, and testify against him in court. (though I did quit my job several months later to start babysitting at home)
I was brave enough to stand up to a school principal and tell him one teacher was not grading my sons papers properly and he did not deserve the good grades he was getting. I stood up to a second principal when she told me I should put my other son in a home and leave him there. (he's Bipolar) Even though it broke my heart, I had the courage to commit the same son to mental inpatient stays four times in his life.
I had the courage to move on when our house burnt and my sons and I had nothing but the clothes on our backs.

So, I guess I'm not so bad.
But, my Lord is my Courage. Would I have the courage to send my only Son to die for the world? No, sadly, I wouldn't. Would I have the courage to be the one to be beaten and then nailed to a cross? No, sadly I would not.

So, I thank my Lord for His courage!

Please join us in sharing what you are thankful for this week!

4 comments:

Denise said...

Such a powerful, thankful post. Bless you.

LAURIE said...

Wow. This is an incredibly powerful and moving post on courage. Certainly life has taken a few twists and turns for you but Praise God! He was with you all the way breathing His strength and courage into your being. His word says He will never leave us nor forsake us ... you are proof of that! Thank you for sharing from the depths of your heart today on TT! -Laurie

Laurie Ann said...

Very powerful testimony about having courage in the Lord! You are a strong woman! Happy Thankful Thursday!

Beth in NC said...

Wow, you have truly overcome a lot. God bless you and thank you for sharing with us!

Love,
Beth