Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Christian response versus Reaction

Tonight at Bible study we began the book of James. (I love this book!) As you probably know, in the first few verses, James begins to talk about tests or trials. This brought up the question - "How do you respond when something unexpected happens? Yell, scream, and blame God, or step back, stop, and try to see what is happening?

Sadly, the latter is not my first response often enough. Controlling my emotions is still one area I struggle. (my poor husband can attest to this) Yet, when I look back each time, I see my Father holding me through the tough times. Read Deuteronomy 4:30-31 and you will know this is true. James tells us to have joy during trials. I don't believe this means to jump up and down, shouting "Halllelu Yah!" I believe that joy in this case means a lack of bitterness towards the situation. However, if you are able to jump and shout, more power to you, for you are much stronger than I.

My most recent trial concerned my mother and her safety. Due to the distance between us, I had no choice but to leave this in God's hands. I admit it was hard. I wanted to jump in my car and drive down to her house right away. Instead I cried and pleaded with God to protect her. My Lord is faithful and she is okay now. Hallelu Yah!

I read this article at Apples of Gold earlier, which is where I found the verse in Deuteronomy. Check it out, not only is the article good, but I enjoy the site itself.

I'll end in the book I started with:
“If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.”
`
James 1:5

No comments: