Friday, October 10, 2008

Psalm Friday

Instructions from By His Grace:
* Pray. Ask God to give you an open heart and mind to learn new truths from His Word. Read Psalm 23 through three times. Record any thoughts or questions you have in your journal. If a verse stands out to you, write it on an index card and begin committing it to memory.

I'm concentrating on the first half of verse 2:
“He makes me to lie down in green pastures"

When I think for lying down in a green pasture, I picture contentment and relaxation. Our Lord wants us to be content and relaxed, not hurried and frantic. Unfortunately, the later seems to be more common in today's society. Everyone is busy, rushing here and there, working too hard, trying to reach the American dream, keep up with the Jones', or just be busy. We often forget that the things in this world are temporary. We cannot take any of it with us when we go. Besides, are we not called to be set apart from the world? ( One example Romans 12:2 )

I feel that we need to learn to be content with what we have, what we need. By filling our minds and hearts with the Living Word we can fight the temptations of "wanting it all". The Peace of God does amazing things for those that choose to ask for and accept it. Relaxation is another important factor. (One must be contest before they can relax) How do you relax? I personally enjoy reading and listening to contemporary christian music. Sometimes I play online, but tend to get bored easily and sitting at my computer for an extended amount of time tends to make my back and neck hurt. (herniated discs)My favorite though, is sitting on the couch with my sweetie watching an old movie together. (Casablanca a favorite).

I apologize, this post seems choppy to me. I had a beautiful one started before I left for work, and placed a copy in my word pad, but I forgot to save it. (another ADD moment!) Anyway, I hope it makes sense and helps you think a little about taking time to relax with Jesus today.

But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. ~ 1 Timothy 6:6-7

No comments: